Sunday 26 April 2015

One Misty, Moisty Morning



One immediate effect of working on the new webpage has been to refocus my attention on some sets of images which I have not yet got around to completing.  In the gallery "The Garden" I describe the series as "an ongoing project photographing the Valley Garden and Old Dairy Allotments at the University of Southampton".  In actual fact, the ongoingness of this particular project is illusory, as not only have I stopped working at the university, but also both the Valley Garden and the Allotments have ceased to be.  At least, in any form that appeals to my eye.  Any photographs that I was ever going to take must therefore already exist, and describe two vanished havens of an agreeable state of benign neglect.

This does not mean that work on the series is not "ongoing", however.  It never ceases to surprise me how one can fail to see standout frames on a first pass.  This one for example.  One Monday morning in early October 2013 I parked my car around 08:15, just as the sun began to shine intensely onto the mist-shrouded allotments, behind and below the creeper-covered carpark wall.  Beyond the trees, the new, shining edifice of the Biological Sciences building gleamed softly, like a moored cruise ship.

I took just the one shot and, until today, hadn't even processed the raw image file.  But now that I have seen it, I think it's likely to be assured a place in the final sequenced series.

No comments: